Fun Facts about the Quadriceps and rectus femoris
- Did you know that the Rectus Femoris is the strongest and leanest muscle in the human body?
- Did you know that the Rectus Femoris is the only quad that isn't actually attached to the femur (thigh bone) but actually is attached below the knee and to the pelvis. So it can both straighten the leg and bend the hip!?
- The Latin full formal name for quadriceps is musculus quadriceps femoris, and the meaning literally translates to "four-headed muscle of the femur".
- President Bill Clinton had surgery in 1997 to repair the quadriceps tendon in his right knee, which he tore stumbling on steps.
- Arnold Shwarzenaeger has just about as many muscle fibers in his quads as you do. They're just thicker.